Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Man! Is it hot or what!?

Well, Memorial Day is less than a week away so that means summer is coming fast.  Pickles and Nea really can't read a calendar but they can feel the heat and so can I.  I have lived in Virginia my whole life and the summers are just getting worse.  The heat wasn't that bad last year but I can't stand the humidity.  I wonder if I can work in Richmond in the winter and transfer to Alaska in the summer?  Hhhmmmm.........

Anyway, when your pups are outside in the heat, don't forget to give them plenty of cool water to drink.  Pickles and Nea like ice so add some ice, too.  Maddie, our Mastiff, liked ice but when we first gave her ice in the water bowl, she barked at it was it was floating around.  Too funny!  Pickles and Nea sit beside the fridge when you're getting ice and stare at you until you give them some.  The first time Nea had ice, she spit it out.  She just wanted whatever Pickles was having but this time, it didn't work out too well.  But now, she has no problem eating ice!

So, we're sitting outside (those of you that know me are saying "holy crap, Mac!  What in the hell is wrong with you?!") and it's not too hot right now.  A nice cool breeze, some cold water to drink and the pups playing, somewhat calmly, about the patio.  This playing is not going to last long before someone starts a fight, eats a stick, chases someone, knocks over my water or some other type of "puppy infraction" that causes a ruckus!  But I'll take what I can get when I can get it.

Nea got her E collar today so both pups have an E collar.  I think I talked about how some people view these collars but if you have a deaf dog, I believe they are necessary.  Most of the time, we use the vibration or nick (at a low voltage).  The vibration is a call, just like calling a hearing dog's name.  When they come, they get a treat or are given a command.  With the nick, it's a low voltage charge of electricity (like static electricity or sticking your tongue on a 9 volt battery).  That slight charge is usually enough to break their concentration so I can vibrate them and give a command.  Here is the collar that we have Dogtrra 7100H SureStim Collar and I think it works great.  They have a two dog model but I didn't buy that one, initially, because I was only getting one dog.  Little did I know, Nea would come along and steal my heart just like her sister.  Back to the heat.

It's really nice outside now so I think I'll go drink a frosty adult beverage and post some photos of the pups.  I hope everyone enjoys the weather now because it's only going to get hotter!

No comments:

Post a Comment